National Institute of Siddha, Chennai
The National Institute of Siddha (NIS), Chennai is an autonomous organization under the Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India. The Institution was dedicated to the Nation on 3rd September 2005 by then Hon’ble Prime Minister of India as an apex Institute of Siddha in the country to develop high standards of teaching, training and research in all aspects of Siddha System of Medicine with scientific approach.
The Institute offers Post Graduate courses in Siddha and Ph.D programme which is affiliated to The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University, Chennai for Academic and Examination purposes and follows the Syllabus and Curriculum prescribed by the Central Council of Indian Medicine as adopted by the University.
- High quality of P.G education and provide health care services in Siddha
- To improve the quality of P.G. teaching
- To validate the Siddha Medicine for selected diseases
- To provide good health care services
- To promote the growth and development of Siddha system of medicine
- To provide medical relief through siddha system
- To impart the post graduate course of Siddha system of medicine
- To undertake research and dissemination
- To act as a center of excellence
IV. Treatment Service:
The OPD functions on all days of the year including National Holidays. The treatment service in Out Patient Department(OPD) and In-patient wards are free except a one time patient registration book cost Rs.10/-
- Working Hours of OPD : 8.00 AM to 12.00 Noon
- Total Bed strength in In-patient Ward is 200 from 01.09.2014
- An average of 1935 patients per day visited OPD during the 2014-15
- Bed occupancy was 87% during 2014-15
V. Special OPs:
- Geriatric Special O.P: Every Tuesday – 3 to 5 P.M conducted by Department of Sirappu Maruthuvam
- Cancer Special O.P: Every Wednesday – 3 to 5.00 P.M conducted by Department of Maruthuvam
- Infertility Special O.P: Every Friday – 3 to 5.00 P.M conducted by Department of Kuzhanthai Maruthuvam
- Yoga Therapy: Conducted by Professor & HoD, Department of Sirappu Maruthuvam at NIS on every Tuesday, Friday and Sunday from 08.00 AM to 12.00 Noon.
Treatment is free, only room rent is chargeable
A/C Room:Rs.500/- per day for bed
Patients admitted in the pay wards are subjected to examination by post graduate students as this institute is a post graduate teaching institution.
VI. P.G. Education in Siddha:
National Institute of Siddha is offering 3 years M.D(S) course affiliated to The T.N.Dr.M.G.R.Medical University, Chennai.
P.G.Admission notification will be issued during the month of July and written test followed by counseling will be held during the month of October and course begins.
ALLOTMENT OF SEATS TO BRANCHES
*1 seat for BIMSTEC Candidate on rotational basis to one department in a academic year
- 45 students admitted in P.G programme during 2014-15
- Stipend for P.G studies paid as per Government of India norms
Although long historical use of many practices of Siddha medicine including experience passed on from generation to generation, has demonstrated the safety and efficacy of siddha medicine, it is important that, we present the scientific evidence and demonstrate the advantages of such products as described in the ancient text. It is the duty of researchers and academicians to establish the strength of siddha by scientific studies. The quantity and quality of the safety and efficacy data on siddha are far from sufficient to meet the criteria needed to support its use worldwide.
The research methodologies for evaluation of Siddha are to guarantee the safety and efficacy of medicines and procedure-based therapies. The siddha medicine relies on a holistic approach, efficacy assessment may be quite different to that of conventional medicine.
National Institute of Siddha is making strenuous effort in improving the quality of dissertation work of P.G. Scholar by scrupulously following research methodologies, so as to strengthen the clinical validation of siddha.
All research activities are undertaken with approval of Research Committee followed by Institutional Ethics Committee / Institutional Animal Ethics Committee.
NIS has signed a MoU with the following Institutions for collaborative research and academic related work.
- Anna University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu on 17-4-2008.
- Tuberculosis Research Center - ICMR on 17-6-2008.
- CCRAS on 18-9-2008.
- SASTRA University, Thanjavur on 3-7-09.
- Sri Ramachandra University on 26-2-2010.
- National Institute of Epidemiology,Chennai on 12-5-2010.
- University of Madras, Chennai on 9-6-2010.
- The T.N.Dr.M.G.R.Medical University on 21-7-2010.
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University on 10-8-2010.
- IIT, Madras, Chennai on 22-06-2011.