Frequently Asked Questions
1. What system of medicine is followed in this Institute?
Siddha system of medicine is prescribed in Ayothidoss Pandithar Hospital in NIS.Siddha system is one of the ancient medicine in India which uses herbal, mineral, metal and animal products depends on the drug formulations. Nearly 80% of the medicine constitutes herbo-mineral preparations.
2. Is there any other system like Ayurveda, Unani, Homoeopathy, Naturopathy, Allopathy followed in NIS?
No other system of medicine followed except Siddha.
3. What is meant by Siddha System of Medicine?
Siddha system of Medicine is unique and evolved by great Siddhars. Siddha system of Medicine is based on natural products available in this country i.e. Herbas, Medicinal Plants, Metals, Minerals and Animal products from ingredients of the medicines. In the hands of experts, the ingredients by themselves or in combination have excellent medicinal value and relieve the sufferings without any side effects, complications. The system has stood the test of time for hundreds of years.
4. Will the system acts slowly?
Since the system is not symptomatic and not target specific, it acts slowly with synergistic effect. The advantage of the system are no side effect, improves general immunity, no drug resistant menace. It provides relief and improves the health status of individuals with minimum cost.
5. Whether Siddha system is effective for treating all type of diseases?
Siddha system could treat all type of diseases and consultation of Siddha Doctor would be helpful in understanding the scope of Siddha Medicine for a particular disease condition. Generally Siddha treatment is very effective for joint diseases, skin diseases, Urinary Tract infections, Liver problems, Rejuvenation etc.
6. Will OPD / IPD function during holidays?
OPD / IPD function on all 365 days in the year. OPD time 8 AM to 12.00 Noon. IPD admission is made during OPD consultation.
7. Whether drugs are manufactured in NIS?
Some drugs including research drugs are prepared in NIS pharmacology laboratory. In general, for OPD / IPD, medicines are procured from TAMCOL / IMCOPS. Former is unit of Tamil Nadu Government and other one is Registered Society under Tamil Nadu Government Act.
8. Can I approach doctor at their residence / clinic for special attention?
NO. Outside practice is not allowed for Doctors working in NIS.
9. What is OPD / IPD time?
- OPD : 8.00 AM to 12.00 Noon on all days on all 365 days of the year.
- IPD : Admission made through OPD consultation on all 365 days.
10. What is procedure for IPD admission?
The patient first report at OPD and as per advice of Doctor at OPD and availability of bed in IPD, patient will be admitted in IPD. The total bed is 160 including 10 beds in the payment ward.
11. What is the payment details for IPD?
For General Ward – Free
Payment ward – 5 Rooms are available – 2 persons per room. Rs.350/- (Rupees Three hundred and fifty only) charged per room. The treatment and food is free in General ward.
12. Whether presence of attendant is necessary for IPD admission?
Yes. IPD admission will not be entertained without Patient-Attendant presence.
13. What is document evidence required for patient admission?
Permanent / Temporary address proof – Ration card, Driving Licence, Bank pass book, Voters ID or any other document evidence issued by competent authority.
14. Could I contact any doctor for getting clarification on consumption of drugs collected from NIS-Dispensary?
During OPD you can contact any doctor at OPD. After OPD hours you can contact Hospital Superintendent /Deputy Superintendent at NIS.
15. Do I pay any amount for medicine collected from dispensary?
No. The medicine is freely given as per doctor’s prescription.
16. What are all the special treatment available in NIS?
Siddha External Therapy
- Thokkanam(Manipulatine Therapy)
- Ottradam (Fomentation)
- Kattu(Bandage Dressing)
- Nasiyam(Nasal drops)
- Vedhu(Steam Inhalation)
- Silai(Medical Gauze or Plaster)
- Kombu Kattal(Bone Setting)
- Pottanam(Medicated Pouch)
- Ennai Kattu(Oil Pooling)
- Attai Vidal (Leech Therapy)
Other External Therapy
17. What are all the research activities going-on?
- M.D(S) students as part of their academic programme, each student is to carryout research work as per the syllabus and curriculum of the speciality concerned.
- Ph.D scholars are carrying out research work using OPD / IPD patients.
- Faculty members are also carrying out research work for establishing Siddha as evidence based system.
- All our research works are carried out as per the regulation of Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1940 and Rules issued from time to time.
- College Council / SAC would review the research proposals and monitor the progress.
- IEC and IAEC committee are functioning in NIS for review and monitoring of research activities. The outcome / results of research works are published in the journals / presented in the conferences
18. What is the education programme imparted in NIS?
Post Graduate course in Siddha through six specialities are being offered in NIS. This is three year course. The eligibility is BSMS degree in Siddha.
19. How do I get PG admission in NIS?
Advertisement for PG application will be issued in the month of July and entrance examination will be held in the month of September. Based on the entrance examination and UG course examination marks, counselling will be held in the month of October and admission process will be completed by the end of October month.
20. Whether reservation provision is available?
Reservation provision as per Government of India for higher education programme is being following in PG admission.