FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What system of medicine is followed in this Institute?
Siddha system of medicine is followed in Ayothidoss Pandithar Hospital. Siddha system is one of the ancient Traditional medical system in India which uses herbs, minerals, metals and animal substances, depending on the drug formulations.
2. What is meant by Siddha System of Medicine?
Siddha system of medicine is a crown of Traditional systems of medicine and the literatures are in Tamil language. This system is unique and evolved by great Tamil Sages called Siddhars. The procedure includes Vadham, Vaithiyam, Yogam and Gnanam. The system enriched not only to treat and prevent the Physical but diseases and also mental well being of human beings. The system has stood the test of time for thousands of years.
3. Is there any other system like Ayurveda, Unani, Homoeopathy, Naturopathy, Allopathy followed in NIS?
The Institute exclusively provides health care through Siddha system of medicine. However, an Allopathy Doctor is available to provide emergency medical care to the patients of this Hospital.
4. Does the system act slowly?
Siddha system of medicines have the potential to act fast in providing relief. However since many patients resort to Siddha treatment with chronic illnesses in the final stages, there is an apparent opinion that these drugs act slow.
5. Whether Siddha system is effective for treating all type of diseases?
Yes. Siddha system could treat many types of diseases from Children diseases to elderly diseases except in acute emergency conditions.
6. Will OPD function during holidays? What is OPD time?
Yes. OPD functions on all 365 days in the year without any holiday.
7. Whether drugs are manufactured in NIS?
The drugs required for the some of the Clinical research are prepared in Gunapadam Laboratory of National Institute of Siddha. The medicine supplied to the patients are procured from TAMCOL and IMPCOPS. Both the Companies are GMP Certified Manufactures
8. Can I approach doctor at their residence / clinic for special attention?
Private practice is not permitted for Doctors working in NIS.
9. What is the procedure for Inpatient ward admission?
The Patients have to report at OPD and based on the necessity of the patients condition the unit Doctor may recommend for in house treatment in IPD, he/she will be admitted followed by the admission procedure. The total bed strength is 200 including special ward consisting of 12 beds in six A/c rooms (rest room attached) on sharing basis i.e two patients can occupy single room with curtain partition.
10. What are the payment details for Inpatient ward? (As on 13.01.2023)
For General Ward – Registration cost is Rs.100 at the time of admission procedure (one time) and there is no charge for daily consultation, medicines, therapies and food
Payment ward – Rs.1000/- (Rupees Five hundred only) charged per patient/day, Thokkanam (Massage) for each sitting and other investigations, therapies there will be a minimum cost (refer here) otherwise there is no charge for consultation, medicines and foods.
11. Whether presence of attendant is necessary for IPD admission?
Yes. IPD admission will not be entertained without Patient-Attendant presence, and endorsement of responsibility.
12. What is document evidence required for patient admission?
Permanent / Temporary address proof – Ration card/Driving License/ Bank pass book/ Voter ID, Aadhar Card or any other document evidence issued by competent authority.
13. Could I contact any doctor for getting clarification on consumption of drugs collected from NIS-Dispensary?
During OPD you can contact YOUR doctor at OPD. After OPD hours on exceptional conditions you can contact Hospital Superintendent /Deputy Medical Superintendent
14. Do I pay any amount for medicine collected from dispensary?
No. There is no charge for medicines
15. What are all the special therapies available in NIS?
Siddha External Therapy
- Thokkanam(Siddha Therapy)
- Podithimirthal(Powder Massage)
- Ottradam (Fomentation)
- Kattu(Bandage Dressing)
- Nasiyam(Nasal drops)
- Vedhu(Steam Inhalation)
- Silai(Medical Gauze or Plaster)
- Kombu Kattal(Bone Setting)
- Pottanam(Medicated Pouch)
- Ennai Kattu(Oil Pooling)
- Attai Vidal (Leech Therapy)
- Karanool(Medicated seton)
16. What are all the research activities going-on?
- All PG scholars carryout research work as part of their curriculum of the specialty concerned.
- Ph.D scholars are carrying out research work.
- Faculty members are also carrying out research work for establishing Siddha as evidence based system.
- All our research works are carried out as per the regulation of Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1940 and Rules issued from time to time.
- College Council / Scientific Advisory Committee would review the research proposals and monitor the progress.
- Institutional Ethics Committee and Institutional Animal Ethics Committee are functioning in NIS for review and monitoring of research activities. The outcome / results of research works are published in the journals / presented in the conferences
17. What are the education programmes imparted in NIS?
Post Graduate course (MD Siddha) in Eight Branches are being offered in NIS and the eligibility is BSMS or equivalent degree.
Doctoral programme (Ph.D in Siddha) offered in six specialty branches and the eligibility is MD (Siddha)
18. How do I get PG admission in NIS?
Admissions to M.D (Siddha) Course are made on the basis of the merit of the candidates secured in All India AYUSH Post Graduate Entrance Test (AIAPGET), conducted by the All India Institute of Ayurveda and the applicable rules like reservations, etc. The candidates who have qualified in the AIAPGET and desirous of getting admitted in this Institute have to submit their application for participation in the Counseling conducted by this Institute. Advertisement regarding conduct of Counseling is issued in the print media. The particulars are also indicated in this website. One student from BIMSTEC countries is also admitted separately. Admission process is completed by the end of October month every year.
19. Whether reservation provision is available?
Reservation provision as per Government of India for higher education programme is being following in PG admission.
20. Whether Emergency treatment is available
Emergency treatment is not provided in this Hospital
21. Whether referral service is available.
If any patient requires medical care which is not within the scope of this Institute, they are referred to the Govt. Hospital, Chrompet or any other hospitals as per medical requirement.
22. Whether Ambulance is available
One Mobile Medical Unit is available for transfer of patients in case of emergency.
23. Whether Laboratory Services are available.
This Institute has Biochemistry, Microbiology and Pathology clinical laboratories.