NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SIDDHA (NIS)
The National Institute of Siddha (NIS), located in Chennai, is a center of excellence with research and higher education in Siddha System of Medicine as its mission. Inaugurated on 03.09.2005 by the former Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
The NIS aims to provide the best possible post graduate education in Siddha, by putting together a team of distinguished faculty members and building a quality resource base. The institute intends to develop curriculum so that the benefits of the traditional science can be integrated with modern science. The NIS proposes to undertake research to enhance the acceptability of the Siddha formulations and to validate their safety. Plans are afoot to forge interdisciplinary alliances with various branches of modern medical sciences.
Located on a sprawling campus in Tambaram Sanatorium, the NIS project is a perfect example of Central and State Government co-operation. The capital cost has been shared by the Government of India and Government of Tamil Nadu in the ratio of 60 : 40 and the recurring expenditure has been shared in the ratio of 75 : 25 for first five years. This Institute is affiliated to The TN.Dr.M.G.R.Medical University, Chennai and the Syllabus and Curriculum are in accordance with the Central Council of Indian Medicine, New Delhi.
The campus is eco-friendly. This is an exceptional project to have created a man-made pond in our institutional premises as a water conservation measure. A sewage recycling plant provides water for the herbal garden. It is proposed to develop the hillock behind the campus into a grove of medicinal plants.
The National Institute of Siddha has excellent infrastructure, dedicated and highly knowledgeable faculty members and bright students. This Institute is poised to reclaim the glory of Siddha System so that the system can play a major role globally in the field of health care.
The Institute is a Centre of excellence and a unique referral Institute for Siddha system of medicine.
AIM & OBJECTIVES
- To promote the growth and development of Siddha system of medicine.
- To provide medical relief through Siddha system.
- To impart the post graduate course of Siddha system of medicine.
- To undertake research and dissemination.
- To act as a center of excellence.
- To attain High quality of P.G education and good health care services in Siddha Medicine and establish Siddha as a evidence based medicine and develop it as a center of excellence in Siddha.
- To improve quality and standards of P.G. education.
- To conduct research and validate the Siddha Medicine for selected diseases.
- To document the health care services for scientific validation.
- To provide good health care services through Siddha.
- To disseminate the research work in publications.